Branding Case Study
A CLASSIC MARKETING
After two unsuccessful brand launch attempts, this innovative herbicide (one 2 oz. bottle treats 100 acres), was languishing with just 2% market share. This campaign, which became arguably the most loved DuPont herbicide campaign ever among farmers, helped market share jump to 16% in two short years.
Testimonial television took the primary role in the campaign. Shot by documentary filmmaker, Albert Maysles, the genuine on-camera quotes never mention CLASSIC herbicide because farmers thought they were being filmed for a documentary about how farming life had changed over the previous 5-10 years— getting them talking about how the definition of “classic farmer” had changed over that time, how farming had become more of a business, not just a life, how innovation was necessary to survive, etc., and the new “classic farmer” embodied all of that.
All of which played directly into the marketing strategy for the most innovative and revolutionary herbicide in DuPont's portfolio of products— so the the new “classic farmer” was really a “CLASSIC farmer.”
The first spot at right was one of six from the campaign's first year, the next one of six from year two. The first print ad was the lead ad from the campaign's first year (before we had the lead time to incorporate the testimonials) and the next two ads are from the campaign's second year, utilizing testimonials.
- American Dairy Association Eat Breakfast Campaign
- Chrysalis Vineyards Branding/Direct Campaign
- DuPont ASANA Insecticide Branding Campaign
- DuPont CANOPY Herbicide Branding Campaign
- DuPont VYDATE Insecticide Campaign
- Fresh Fields Store Grand Opening Campaign
- GE Plastics LEXGUARD Direct Campaign
- Larson Storm Door Market Penetration Campaign
- Kodak E100 Direct Branding Campaign
- ViaHealth "Human Care" Branding Campaign
- ViaHealth Plan Benefits Made Easy Direct
- Washington Park Mall Grand Opening Campaign
- Xerox Back Safety Internal Employee Campaign